Financial Aid Options | Texas County Technical College

Financial Aid Options

This page is dedicated to helping you understand the different types of financial aid available to TCTC students.  Some of the financial aid options below may apply to you, but you may not be eligible for others. If this is overwhelming, don’t worry! When you begin the application and/or financial aid process through TCTC, we’ll be there to walk you through every step!  Our financial aid department is glad to sit down with you to examine your specific financial situation and help you map out a financial aid plan. We’ll let you know what you may qualify for, and what you can expect for both the financial aid application process as well as an estimate of what you can expect to pay for your education.  Call us at 417.967.5466 any time and we’ll answer any questions you may have.

See our Getting Started page for more information on how to start the financial aid process and an overview from start to finish. 

Texas County Technical College students may apply for scholarships, grants, or loans to assist them with school expenses. Scholarships and grants are sums of money given to an eligible student to be applied toward the student’s education costs. Students do not repay scholarships or grants but must meet specific requirements to receive them. Various loans are also available to assist students with educational costs. These loans must be repaid according to specific terms.

Federal Financial Aid

Using federal financial aid is a common way to pay for your education. To get a better understanding of which federal financial aid options might be available to you,  you can use the following outline in addition to the video shown. Our FAFSA school code is : 035793.

(video compliments of

PELL Grant

The Federal PELL Grant is an entitlement program through the US Department of Education which provides grants for students’ education based on need. The amount of the grant is based on family size, income, assets, number of credit hours per semester, and cost of attendance at a given school. Students must file a FAFSA to determine eligibility. 

Do I have to repay?  No.
Classification : Federal Grant

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program

The Direct Loan program provides low interest, long-term loans to students and their parents to help meet educational expenses. Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans are awarded on the basis of financial need. Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are designed to provide financial aid to students who do not demonstrate need for the Subsidized Stafford Loan. Payment on both the subsidized and unsubsidized loan begins six months after the student completes or leaves his/her educational program. Students must first file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to apply for student loans. Any student who borrows student loan funds must complete a Master Promissory Note and entrance loan counseling as conditions of receiving student loan monies. Students must also complete exit counseling up graduating, withdrawing, or dropping below half time status. Master Promissory Notes, Entrance Counseling, and Exit Counseling must be completed at: This is a loan, and repayment is required.

Do I have to repay?  Yes.
Classification : Federal Loan

Federal Plus Loans

Direct Plus Loans are available to assist qualified parents to borrow in order to pay the education expenses of a dependent student. Plus Loans are limited to the difference between the student’s total cost of education and other financial aid the student may receive. This is a loan, and repayment is required.

Do I have to repay?  Yes. (Your parents have to repay.)
Classification : Federal Loan

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG funds are awards based on the availability of funds and the student’s level of need. There is no guarantee every eligible student will be able to receive an FSEOG.

The purpose of the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) Program is to provide grants to exceptionally needy undergraduate students – who have not received a bachelor’s or first professional degree – to help pay for their postsecondary education. All such students are eligible to apply for the grant, regardless of enrollment status or dependency status.

The institution ensures that FSEOG funds are reasonably available to eligible students (to the extent of available funds) who demonstrate financial need. Funds are reserved throughout the year to ensure that no advantage exists for students enrolling early in the award year as opposed to those enrolling later in the award year. To this end, the institution has established and published deadlines throughout the award year that students must meet in order to be considered for the grant.

Students make application by submitting completed  FAFSA data to the federal processor via FAFSA on the Web or by other means and meeting with the published deadline.  The deadlines are as follows:

Fall Semester  /  October 1
Spring Semester  /  February 2
Summer Semester /  May 15

Do I have to repay?  No.
Classification : Federal Grant

Federal Work Study Program

The Federal Work Study Program provides jobs for eligible students who must earn funds to pay a portion of their educational expenses. Students must be PELL eligible and enrolled for a least half time to qualify. The number of hours a student may work is based on the financial need demonstrated by the student, the number of hours it is possible for the student to work, and availability of FWS funds at the institution. Students must apply for a position according to college guidelines to be considered for Work Study.

Do I have to repay?  No.
Classification : Federal Work Study Grant

State Financial Aid

Access Missouri Financial Assistance Program

This grant is administered by the State of Missouri and is a need-based program designed to be simple to understand, provide predictable, portable awards, and increase access to your school of choice.  Your financial eligibility is determined by your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as calculated through the FAFSA.  You may renew the Access Missouri award annually. To renew you must reapply and have your eligibility re-evaluated each year. 

Do I have to repay?  No.
Classification : State Grant

Marguerite Ross Barnett Memorial Scholarship

This grant is administered by the State of Missouri and is a need-based scholarship. It was established for students who are employed while attending school part-time.  You must be enrolled at least half time, but less than full time (6-11 credit hours) and be employed and compensated for at least 20 hours per week. You must complete the FAFSA by August 1 each year.  To renew you must reapply and have your eligibility re-evaluated each year.

Do I have to repay?  No.
Classification : State Scholarship

Other Financial Aid Options

Veterans Assistance

Students who are or may be eligible for educational benefits from the U. S. Department of Veteran Affairs are required to notify the financial aid office to complete the enrollment process. Each benefit is unique and requires program specific paperwork to be completed in a timely manner to facilitate processing a claim. Additionally, Veterans programs vary extensively in terms of compensation, dependent upon such factors as time in service and rate of progression through a program.

To begin the process of applying for GI Bill benefits, visit and click on “Apply for GI Bill Benefits” completing the correct form. Prospective students are urged to contact their local Military Education Officer to discuss benefit options. BTC is committed to assisting veterans in every possible way so as to take full advantage of the benefits earned while in service to our country.

Do I have to repay?  No.
Classification : Federal Veterans Assistance

Vocational Rehabilitation

If you want to work but have a disability that keeps you from finding or keeping a job, Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) may be able to help you. VR specializes in employment and training services that can assist you in becoming employed. A VR counselor will determine your eligibility for services. To be eligible, you need to have a physical or mental impairment that causes problems with working and need VR services to be successfully employed. Once eligible, you will work with a counselor who will help you develop a plan for your rehabilitation.  VR will give you vocational information and guidance allowing you to make informed choices about your vocational plan. You can find more information here

Do I have to repay?  No.
Classification : State Grant

Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)

WIOA is a federally funded employment and training program. The focus of the Act is on assisting customers to develop workforce opportunities, access training, and manage their career choices through universal access to information and career-oriented services. The WIOA is also a means of identifying training needs and assisting with securing training to fill skill gaps, which may be a barrier to career success.

WIOA funded training grants are available each year for individuals to acquire skills that are currently in demand and provide a high wage. Funds are used to cover the cost of tuition and books. Amount of financial aid for tuition and books varies depending on the length of training program.

Do I have to repay?  No.
Classification : Federal/State Grant

Trade Adjustment Act (TAA) (Division of Workforce Development)

The Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) Program is a federal entitlement program that assists U.S. workers who have lost or may lose their jobs as a result of foreign trade. This program seeks to provide adversely affected workers with opportunities to obtain the skills, credentials, resources, and support necessary to become reemployed. You can find more information here or here

Do I have to repay?  No.
Classification : Federal Grant

Other Scholarships

Additional scholarships may be obtained and students are encouraged to seek out various scholarships as needed. Scholarships are awarded based upon various criteria, which usually reflect the values and purposes of the donor or founder of the award. Scholarship money is not required to be repaid.  The most common types of scholarships are : merit-based, need-based, student-specific, career-specific, and college-specific.  Some scholarships may be awarded by religious groups, chambers of commerce, etc.  For more ideas of places to look, see

Do I have to repay?  No.
Classification : Institutional Scholarship

TCTC Scholarship

Seniors from select high schools in the Houston area and surrounding counties are eligible for the TCTC institutional scholarship awarded in the spring of the current academic year.

Criteria include:

    1. Must be seniors and graduate by the end of the current academic year.
    2. Must be accepted into a Texas County Technical College program the summer or fall following graduation from high school.
    3. Must complete and return applications no later than deadline given on application.
    4. Must demonstrate financial need.
    5. Must demonstrate participation and leadership in school and community activities.

Two applicants will be selected from each high school represented and will be notified by mail.  Texas County Technical College will award scholarships of $500.00 each.  Texas County Technical College reserves the right not to award either scholarship if there are no applicants who meet the minimum criteria. 

Do I have to repay?  No.
Classification : Institutional Scholarship

F.A. Davis Nursing Scholarships

F.A. Davis offers two nursing scholarships each year. $1,500 will be awarded to one undergraduate nursing student and to one graduate nursing student who is studying in the US or Canada.  F.A. Davis recognizes the challenging, yet rewarding path nursing students have embarked on and the very special nature of those who have chosen it. You can find more information here  The scholarship application deadline is in July of each year. See the website for further details and dates. 

Do I have to repay?  No.
Classification : Institutional Scholarship